Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Day 22 - Tobermory and THE GROTTO







THIS was definitely one of the high lights of my trip! It was radical (I use awesome and cool/neat too much >.> ….I need a thesaurus… so I am going to replace those words with radical from now on I just decided). So first we drove two hours in two very crammed vehicles to Tobermory where we looked in shops, bought some clothes and ate all you can eat fish and chips. Then as the day grew on we headed to the coolest natural wonder in Ontario as far as I’m concerned. We hiked a kilometre in and arrived at this cool cove where super smooth white rocks and freezing water with eroded rock formations all around us. After some swimming and cliff jumping (which is definitely not illegal and where there where definitely not signs saying not to >.>) we climbed over a large formation into The Grotto. Too bad I didn’t get a full picture of the grotto itself but if not up right away come back to this post to see some from inside where you could jump ten feet into the deep water. Or dive into the glowing blue light six feet below and follow a tunnel twenty five feet to come up on the other side of the formation. It seemed like a stupid thing at first and I wouldn’t have done it a year ago but it’s a lot easier to bring yourself to do something like that when you don’t let fear and common-sense hold you back. So I swam through the tunnel with my Uncles with some goggles (its close to impossible without them) holding my breath for a good amount of time and it was especially rad. You follow the light through the rock and come up on the other side to swim back around to do it again but I only did it once after having my goggles fill almost immediately after jumping in the first time and freaking myself out big time. So pretty much I did a number of things that could have gotten me killed and loved every minute of it (don’t worry mom my uncles were there to make sure I didn’t do something tooo stupid, like what they were doing >.> well no but I wouldn’t have gone backwards through the tunnel if I where them). There was also a seventy foot tunnel but you need fins if you want to even bother attempting and the people we heard from who had done it said they started regretting it about three quarters of the way through.

When we finally hiked out of there it was almost seven or so (we left at eight or so that morning for Tobermory) and we raced back towards the campsite to see if we could make the eight o’clock showing of Harry Potter Six but missed it and got Sundays at dairy queen instead. Then we went back to the camp and reminisced before heading to bed.








Song Of The Day



The Ghetto (But replace all the times they say Ghetto with Grotto and you've got what my Uncles were singing all day lol)



By: Elvis



Lyrics :

1 comment: